David has been providing consultancy advice to the public, third and private sectors for the last twenty years, supporting strategy development, commercial performance and change management.
A former senior manager of a local authority, he has provided these services for many NHS Trusts, over 70 local authorities and many other public bodies, including, eg, MOD, Cabinet Office, Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Cambridge City Council, Department for Communities and Local Government, Hertfordshire County Council, Newham and Havering Councils, Norfolk and Suffolk Foundation NHS Trust, Norfolk County Council, Science and Technology Facilities Council, South Norfolk Council, Suffolk County Council, etc.
Whilst a business manager for a traded service of Norfolk County Council he undertook one of the first academic studies looking into the factors that determine the commercial effectiveness of local authority traded services. He sat on a Cabinet Office Quality Review Panel to review the impact on people and culture of major transformation programmes. And in 2017 he had another book published, Commercial Gov: a practical guide to commercial development in the public sector.
Examples of David’s consultancy work include:
- Working with more than 20 local authorities and other public and third sector organisations to develop income generation initiatives
- Working with several Local Authorities to develop their corporate parenting to ensure they add value to their income generating units rather than hinder their competitiveness
- Leading cultural change work stream as part of the £1billion merger between Saga, Nestor Healthcare and Allied Healthcare
- Worked as part of the change team on the merger of CCLRC and PPARC to form STFC. Specific responsibility was post-merger commercial development. Implementation of the commercial development strategy has increased external income by around £50million
- Leading the Catalyst programme in Suffolk to increase the competitiveness of divested Suffolk County Council services and the other major social businesses
See some of the comments from participants attending David’s programmes:
- Dynamic and engaging.
- Very knowledgeable with lots of real examples from personal experiences.
- Professional, engaging, credible.
- Highly knowledgeable and was able to convey message clearly (easy to understand).
- Really well presented course that gives a good grounding in commercial awareness and gives new tools and skills to improve or begin commercial sales
- Memorable and very enjoyable. Delivered at the right level.
- It was very informative and challenged ways of thinking. There are a number of elements from today that we will use to improve our ways of working commercially.
David is based in Norfolk and works across the UK.