Paul is an experienced leadership and HR consultant, coach, and facilitator. He established his consultancy practice in 2016, following a highly successful corporate career across the FMCG, food, engineering and utilities sectors holding HR Director-level positions within blue chip businesses such as Babcock International, E.on UK and Cargill.
Having operated at a senior level in major businesses, he has a strong understanding of the very real challenges of leadership responsibility and brings the value of this experience to his wide-ranging client base.
During the course of a 34-year corporate career, Paul gained experience and insights into many of the key dilemmas and challenges facing boards and, particularly, HR directors today, including:
- Significant organisational change – company integration, business start-up, asset disposal and site closure, market driven re-structuring and downsizing, etc
- Organisational design and development – resourcing an effective HR delivery model including experience of the move from devolved HR accountability to the Ulrich model (Centres of Excellence, HR Shared Services and ‘in business’ HR Business Partners)
- Supporting leadership teams in their quest to develop common purpose, improve collaboration and relationships between team members based on a purposeful approach to organisational challenges and conflict
- Supporting, coaching and mentoring leaders through organisational change and personal development challenges
- Creation of credible talent identification and development processes focused on meeting medium- to long-term resourcing requirements
- Driving lasting change in organisational approach to employee relations; leader-led open communication with staff groups and employee representatives, effective consultative forums that complement traditional bargaining machinery; the challenge of moving from historic adversarial trade union relationships to partnership-based model, etc.
This real-world experience is an important underpin to Paul’s impact and value; whether it’s in the consultancy, coaching or facilitation space he has a reputation as a strong and effective presence in the boardroom. Pragmatic and possessing natural gravitas, his clients say they find his style engaging, and strongly outcomes-focused – a business partner who, although challenging when appropriate, is truly supportive of individuals and teams seeking to develop their direction and plans.
Above all, Paul has the ability and in-the-moment confidence to ‘change hats’ and, for example, move from perhaps a consultancy led approach to one more closely aligned to coaching and/or mentoring in order to secure the optimum outcome for his clients.
Paul is based in Leicestershire and works across the UK.