Mark Wearden, MSc, FCCA, FCIS has run his own strategy consultancy for the past 25 years, following 12 years in international banking as an analyst, and 8 years in industry as a finance director.
A systems thinker yet very much ‘a people person’, Mark’s main areas of interest are governance thinking, risk and narrative reporting, supply chain challenge; in all these areas exploring the dichotomy that frequently exists between theory and practice, and ensuring a sound financial infrastructure.
Mark’s extensive portfolio of roles reflects this range of interests:
- NED with a range of private companies
- Independent advisor to statutory bodies and audit and risk committees
- Chair of remuneration and nomination committees
- Board, committee and director evaluation and development
- Advisor on financial and business strategies and systems
- Change and systems implementation consultant, particularly around governance, supply chain, risk systems, financial systems and structure
- Ethics, confidential and forensic investigations
- Mentoring of CFOs and other directors (and senior managers)
- One-to-one strategic and advisory work with executive directors
- Delivery of CPD training and examination on behalf of various professional bodies and universities (eg, AAT, ACCA, BPP, CIMA, CLT, Croner-i, ICSA, King’s College London, University of Lincoln) and bespoke training for private clients (eg, Benenden Healthcare, Dominos Pizza, Martin Baker, RBS, Pinnacle Engineering, Brown’s Haulage, Case International, Eveden Ltd, etc)
- Governance training (eg, directors’ practical concerns, board effectiveness, corporate governance in action, ethics, sceptical accounting, risk and reputation, role of the NED, reporting, etc)
- Financial training (eg, boardroom finance, integrated reporting, role of the FD, corporate finance)
- Leadership and management development (eg, strategy development, effective meetings, change management, systems thinking, effective leadership, supply chain excellence)
- Development of Strategy (ICSA)
- Practical Guide for Audit Committees (Croner-i)
- Corporate Governance Accountants’ Digests (Croner-i)
- Non-Executive Directors’ Checklists (ICSA April 2020)
- Directors’ Checklists (ICSA April 2020)
- Former Chair, ACCA Global Forum on Governance, Risk and Performance
Mark is based in Lincolnshire and works across the UK.